Sunday, February 13, 2011

White Privilege by Peggy McIntosh

Quotes:

 priv·i·lege  (prv-lj, prvlj)
n.
1.a. A special advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted to or enjoyed by an individual, class, or caste. (www.thefreedictionary.com) 

"I now think we need a more finely differentiated taxonomy of privilege, for some of these varieties are only what one would want for everyone in a just society, and others give license to be ignorant, oblivious, arrogant, and destructive." 

The connotation of privilege is labeled differently within each race. I believe that the point that McIntosh made is relevent in a white privilege mind set. My opinion in seeing the big picture when reading this quote was basically every individual brought up in a system either adapts to their surroundings of what privilege is or becomes skeptical to what they do not have.


"If these things are true, this is not such a free country; ones' life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own."


I find this quote false. When you are brought into this world you become an individual and have the option of being independent or codependent. You can either adapt to your surroundings and rely on other sources for help and guidance or you can gain it yourself. I believe that when born you have the a "path of knowledge" that guides you in a right or wrong direction and you are the only one that can direct the path of it.  Its not about adapting to a definition of what a word holds...privilege...and then believing its true then needs to be followed and enhanced. Its about believing in who you are and what you want to make out of your life. Its about seeing the positive meaning behind being a privilege person by thinking with knowing you have a privlege mind set. Its not about having money, power, guidance its about knowing that you are the only one who can control your destiny, virtues and success.


"Privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate. Power from unearned privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate. "


I believe that this is a racist point of view on the meaning/label of privilege.  Privilege as stated above is not about a different label. Yet has a the same carried definition through all.  People may feel like they have less power in certain scenarios and situations but they still can have the thought process of what they want and how to go about it. Yes time may be huge factor in how to pursue their ultimate happiness/goal but bottom line if you put in the effort of what you want out of the word privilege...you will get it.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the quotes that you used. I liked how you said what they mean and also if you believed they were true or not. When I first read the article, I didn't see the last quote as being racist but now reading what you have written, I can see how it could come across as a racist quote. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about what you say about your second quote. What did you think of the metaphor or the relay race that we talked about in class? SO do you believe that everyone has the same chances for success or college when they are born? Cliffie in Mott Haven or Donald Trump? Your story about your friend who never believed he could go to college seems to be evidence to McIntosh's point, no? Great start with this one, Alycia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess when I was writing that I was going thru some situations at home where I was frustrated with a person I know that is fully capable of working and making a better life for herself but chooses to live off the state, I feel out of laziness. After learning more throughout this semester and going thru extreme hardships myself, I realize that privilege does play a role in many's lives that lead to success. I was raised in a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" kind of way but even that pressure is too much for me now. I feel if I only had a little bit more money and didn't have to worry about food or shelter on top of getting my homework done then yes I would easily get everything in on time and do it to the best of my ability. I know now that it is ok to give myself a break, realize the hardships I have been under and give myself a pat on the back for accomplishing what I have so far. This is not easy but I can say that in the beginning of this semester I would have never given myself that mental break let alone anyone else. I guess I was taught growing up that it was all just excuses...this semester I have found myself in tears and making myself sick because its not just an excuse, its a reason. I thank you Dr. Bogad for allowing me to be more open minded and realize that people have legitimate reasons not just excuses and they shouldn't feel like failures because of it.

    ReplyDelete