Saturday, March 5, 2011

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us - by: Linda Christensen

ARGUMENT:

    Linda Christensen argues that "Our society's culture industry colonizes their minds and teaches them how to act, live, and dream."

     Christensen argues that young society is manipulated early by things such as fairytales, cartoons, and toys. She then says that this early manipulations stays with those children into adulthood and the problem doesn't stop; it is in all media, advertising and surrounds us in our everyday life. Linda Christensen argues that analyzing these things can "develop their critical consciousness...(and) move them (the students analyzing) to action." She wants her students to not only critique these cartoons etc. but to also just become aware of the "secret education" and how powerful it really is. She first begins by asking the students to look at themselves and how it has affected them. She says that no one wants to believe that they have been manipulated but it is so obvious that they have. Once the students can become aware of these problems she then wants them to imagine a "better world, characterized by relationships of respect and equality." After looking at all of these issues in all media types, pulling out examples and relating it to everyday life, she then "create(s) the possibility for action." Once the students formed strong opinions about these issues they were able to create projects that could each about what they had learned. This made their projects real and meaningful, these issues are not just in the classroom they are in everyday life so this gave the students to opportunity to think about something, form an opinion and take action to try to make a difference. Linda Christensen makes the ultimate point, to not be manipulated and allow these stereotypes to become just accepted knowledge. In order to not do that she suggest becoming aware of the issues first and foremost, then analyzing them in order to form an opinion, and finally take action in order to create change. Linda Christensen made me believe that we can make a difference, don't just leave what you learn in the classroom - take it with you into the "real world".

      Adding to this post:

This video is kind of funny- it has mostly hidden messages that are sexual but I thought it went along with what Christensen is saying. I also realized that I used to watch these cartoons and would have never thought about these things as sexual but now I am more aware + also older and more knowledgeable.
                                                   
I feel that Christensen can relate to Delpit because most of the time the subliminal messages are those of the culture of power. This "secret education" that Christensen talks about revolves greatly around subliminally teaching the rules and codes of power. I do not feel that Delpit would agree with how it is getting done nor do I think she would agree with most of the messages because although they may teach these rules and codes of power they mostly do not respect diversity or individual cultures that are not of the culture of power.
  What I would have liked to talk about in class is probably the fact that people do not want to admit that they are/ were influenced or manipulated in any way. I found it interesting how there was a mix in the class blogs where some seem to openly admit they felt influenced and others denied it. 

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your argument. I used the same quote for my blog. I think that Christensen did a good job showing how children are influenced by what they see and ultimately are manipulated into thinking things about the real world that just aren't true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think she did a really nice job of expressing how cartoons show racism, sexism, and etc. however personally i don't think that it has as big effect as she is saying. i mean do little kids really think about all this stuff when they are little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Courtney when I was little I didn't care about that kind of stuff. I just cared about the funny parts! The only reason why little kids start to realize this is because their parents make such a big deal out of it then then realize hmmm maybe there's something wrong here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think her point is that it subconsciously effects us and creates insecurities within us as well as stereotypes. When I was little I had a good idea of what was supposed to be beautiful and what a marriage was "supposed" to be and I had no idea where these thoughts came from. They may have been derived from disney movies etc and I didn't even realize I had been manipulated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you said about her argument and I think that you did a really good job of backing it up and explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought that there could be a "secret education" in kids movies and shows but Linda really does a wonderful job of bringing it to light of how much it actually teaches us! I think you did a wonderful job of really summarizing her arguments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked looking at this response to Linda Christensen's writing and teaching. I really liked the side aricle "Rethinking 'The Three Little Pigs by Ellen Wolpert especially...."the best approach is not to put down such beloved tales and refuse to read them, but to use them to pose uquestions for children."
    Mallory Marquet

    ReplyDelete